Thursday, September 22, 2011

Big East Week 4 Picks

Week 4 is already here. While the Big East fades away, our picks will not (at least for this season). Last week, Jim pulled even with Mike at 21-2 at calling their games while I came in third at 20-3 (still in the hunt). Now that the cupcakes games are nearly out of the way, the Big East games before a little bit harder to call, but we will give it the old college try. Here are our picks.


North Carolina State at Cincinnati

Matt: This is going to be a very close game. Cincinnati would appear to have the speed advantage with Collaros and Woods. They are playing at home as well so I have to go Bearcats on this one. Pick: Cincinnati
Mike: Tough one to pick, but I'm not entrusting this one to a coin toss. NC State was good last year, but losing Russell Wilson has shown to be too much. The Wolf Pack will be lucky to win 6 games this year, but this game won't be one of them. I'll show a little faith in the Big East and go with Cincy.Jim: Hmm... this one is a toughie. NC ST gave WVU fits in the Champs Sports Bowl last year, but then again, they had Russell Wilson. I'm still not fully confident in Cincinnati. Pick: NC State
Toledo at Syracuse
Matt: Such an epic matchup here (sarcasm intended). The Orange got torched out west, but back home in the Carrier Dome against a Toledo team that did push Ohio State and hung around a half vs. Boise State will make it a lot closer than many would like. Pick: Syracuse
Mike: I would love nothing more than to see Pitt and Syracuse lose for a second straight week (yes, I'm bitter), and I know Toledo put a bit of a scare into Ohio State, but I don't think I can see Syracuse losing to a below-average MAC team. I'll go with Syracuse.
Jim: I'm going with Syracuse. Toledo will have run out of gas at this point playing against Ohio State and Boise State. I don't see them giving 3 BCS teams fits in a row.
Notre Dame at Pitt
Matt: I'll be watching this game (USF takes on Pitt next Thursday). Notre Dame got the win they needed at home and have the offensive firepower. The up-tempo of Pitt is not that impressive and after watching Sunseri throw them out of the game last week, I have to take the calmer Brian Kelly (laugh people). Pick: ND
Mike: I know Notre Dame is a good team. I still have them in my Top 25. I also know Pitt's passing game is going to struggle. Ray Graham isn't going to keep his average of 137 rushing yards per game here. I'm picking the Irish.
Jim: Man, do I have to pick this one? I don't like either of these teams. I'll pick Pitt, "for the good of the conference," even though that doesn't do a damn bit of good anymore.

Ohio at Rutgers

Matt: Another epic game of no one cares at all. Ohio is 3-0 but they are Ohio. Rutgers is still the fighting Snookis so I could care less, but since they are playing at home, I'll go with them I guess. Pick: Rutgers
Mike: Just because Rutgers gave North Carolina some trouble, I'll have a little faith in them. Don't make me regret this, RU.
Jim: This one is my upset special... Ohio University!

UCONN at Buffalo

Matt: Seriously, could there be an uglier game than this one here? UCONN stinks on offense and so does Buffalo, but the Bulls play at home and I could care less for UCONN now. Pick: Buffalo
Mike: Iowa State and Vanderbilt > Buffalo. Hopefully UConn won't disappoint me this week.
Jim: No more picking UConn. They had a chance to beat Iowa State the other night and couldn't. Pick: Buffalo.
UTEP at USF
Matt: Come on, who else? Pick: USF
Mike: It's not going to be a record-breaking week, but it'll be pretty close. Ball State is definitely better than this UTEP team who just scratched out a win against NMSU last week, which leads me to believe that we'll be seeing two things: A large margin of victory, and a lot of subs being played.
Jim: I'm gunna let Matt & Mike take care of the write-ups for this one. Pick: USF

LSU at WVU
Matt: Game of the week right here. WVU looked great for a while against Maryland and then let them back into the game. Geno Smith found his passing game, but the run game needs work. LSU has a defense that can stop a lot of people and the offense will get it done when needed. Sorry Jim, have to go Tigers here. Pick: LSU
Mike: If I wasn't obligated to do so, I wouldn't make a pick on this one. West Virginia looks good through the air, but LSU's pass defense is good enough to match Geno Smith stride for stride. West Virginia needs a great running game to get past the Tigers, and unfortunately that's something they simply do not have. At least WVU will have time to go home and lick their wounds against Ball State before Big East play, but this week I'll take the Tigers.
Jim: Well, well, well... the game I have been waiting several years for. Got my tickets, will have my spot for Gameday, and my #FireCraigJames sign (granted, the ESPN sign police doesn't swipe it from me.) The running game improved a lot between Norfolk St and Maryland... Vernard Roberts is going to be a hell of a RB in the future, and shows flashes of brilliance as a freshman. Geno will be connecting with his receivers, and LSU fans will be crying on their corn dogs. Pick: WVU


0 Comments:

Post a Comment